Minnetonka High School's Student News

Minnetonka Breezes

Minnetonka High School's Student News

Minnetonka Breezes

Minnetonka High School's Student News

Minnetonka Breezes

The Sauna Renaissance
The Sauna Renaissance
March 22, 2024
Lets Talk Protein
Let's Talk Protein
March 22, 2024
Phenomenal Festivities
Phenomenal Festivities
March 22, 2024

Run With the Pack

The Minnesota Timberwolves are a new team.  Coming off yet another disappointing sub-20-win season last year, David Kahn, GM of the Minnesota Timberwolves, has totally reshaped the team by adding youth, versatility, and athleticism over the off-season.  The revamped roster contains ten new players including 2008 college basketball player of the year finalist, Michael Beasley.  This team has the potential to be great in the future, but for now, competing for a playoff spot will be a major challenge. 

The Wolves off-season transactions this past summer could be called controversial by some.  Last year’s leading scorer for the Wolves, Al Jefferson, was traded away for a draft pick and big man Kosta Koufos, who averaged a whopping 4.5 points per game last year.  The Wolves also decided to sign unproven Darko Milicic to a massive four-year, 20-million-dollar contract.  Darko is known as one of the biggest NBA draft busts of all time: He has nowhere near matched the production of Carmelo Anthony, Chris Bosh, and Dwayne Wade, all players who were chosen ahead of him in the 2003 NBA draft. 

Currently, the main asset of the Wolves is the potential of their young and talented roster.  In September, GM David Kahn sent a letter to all Minnesota Timberwolves season tickets holders stating that “it would be highly unlikely for the Wolves to compete for a championship this year.”  However, Kahn did express his hope for the future with his new and improved roster.  With the new additions of Michael Beasley, Wesley Johnson, and Martell Webster, the Wolves have collected a surplus of raw talent, making Minnesota look like a possible contender in the future.  Former first round picks Kevin Love and Johnny Flynn are returning this year and hope to improve on their solid play of last year.  The T-Wolves also hope European standout Ricky Rubio will come over and join the team next season.  Rubio was the fifth overall pick in the 2009 draft, and has shown potential to be one of the better point guards in the NBA.  After competing against Rubio three times in international play, five-time NBA champion, Kobe Bryant said, “he is definitely ready to play in the NBA.”

This preseason has shown what the Wolves could be.  They have demonstrated team chemistry and a willingness to win.  The Wolves, led by head coach Kurt Rambis, will likely end up with another unsatisfactory 20 win season.   Many NBA gurus project the Wolves to flirt with the worst record in the NBA.  The main goal this season is to improve in all aspects of their game.  Currently, elite teams such as the Miami Heat and the Los Angeles Lakers view the Timberwolves more as “Timber-puppies,” but the Wolves should be a team to reckon with in the distant future.