Fun and Safe Outdoor Fall Activities

Caroline Davis, Copy Editor

This fall 2020 still has a bunch of fun outdoor activities to do with your friends while remaining safe. Minnesota has a bunch of super fun fall festivals and attractions.          

To begin, the Severs Fall Festival in Shakopee is a fun way to spend time with friends and family. Severs is completely outdoors and features a corn maze, many corn pits, and delicious food. The food selection, such as hot apple cider and caramel apples, is perfect for fall. Although some attractions, such as the inflatables and petting zoo, are unavailable due to the pandemi, it is still a go-to fall activity. This year, you must purchase tickets online, and a limited number of people are allowed inside. Buy your tickets fast before they sell out.

Next, a more Halloween-themed attraction is in Wyoming, Minnesota. The Dead End Hayride features a parade of scary explosions, dressed-up characters and haunts to scare riders. When customers arrive, they are taken on a hayride into the middle of the woods and are left there to fend for themselves. Riders have to make it back on the path through the woods while being stalked by scary creatures of the night. 

Mady Fox,’22, visited this haunted hayride. 

She said, “the theatrics were enjoyable while still being scared out of my mind.” 

Riders must wait in line for their turn with their group, so you won’t be riding with too many strangers. This allows for more safety. Ticket prices depend on which day you go, and are sold (quickly) online. Anyone who enjoys being scared should definitely catch this attraction this fall. 

Finally, the Twin Cities Maze is a less expensive fall festival in Brooklyn Park, Minnesota. The Twin Cities Maze features a 20-acre corn maze, face-painting, a sunflower field, hayrides, a corn pit, a pumpkin patch, and a variety of food, including the Minnesota State Fair mini donuts. 

Ravelle Rute, ‘22, visited the Twin Cities maze and said, “It was a fun time, and a great opportunity to hang out with friends. It was very crowded though, which made it feel unsafe during COVID times… not everyone was wearing a mask since it was outside.” 

An employee at the Twin Cities Maze said, “We try to make the experience as fun as possible while keeping everyone safe by encouraging social distancing between parties and mask-wearing while talking to employees.” 

This outdoor activity is a fun opportunity to experience beautiful fall weather; just try not to get lost in the maze.

Any students seeking fun and safe opportunities to spend time with family and friends could check out any one of these options. Take advantage of these moments to spend time outdoors before the famous Minnesota winter rolls in.