Highlighting Minnetonka’s Success Fall Athletes As Their Season Closes

Catherine Rile, Staff Writer

MHS has come to the end of yet another successful fall season for the Skippers, and all students know what that means: winter sports are coming up. Two of Minnetonka’s winter athletes—Kate Berchild, ‘23, and Andy Stefonowicz, ‘24, both talented returning athletes–shared their experiences as winter sport athletes. 

Berchild is a defender on the girls JV hockey team. She is described by her peers as “outgoing and a leader.” Berchild and her teammates have been busy preparing before the start of the season. 

“We’ve been prepping a lot in the off season. I was a part of a fall league and also participated in captains’ practices,” she said. “I’m super excited for this season; hopefully we can be one of the top JV teams.” 

Berchild also said that she is excited to just spend time at the rink with her friends and teammates. When asked about her biggest inspirations, Berchild said, “Kevin Fiala, a right wing for the Wild. He’s a hard worker on the ice and a great teammate.” 

Berchild expressed what her goals are for the upcoming season: “For sure to beat Edina, and to have fun.”

Stefonowicz, a returning point guard for the boys varsity basketball team, is also excited for the upcoming season. 

He started on the team last year as a freshman. Stefonowicz commented on his and his teammates’ preparations for this year’s season.

“We’ve been doing workouts and a fall league with the team and working out in the weight room with Coach Moon. And on top of that, open gyms,” he said. 

Now that the season is right around the corner, Stefonowicz said, “I’m super excited for this season. I think it’s a statement season. Last year we didn’t really have the outcome we wanted, but we’re gonna turn it around.”

Stefonowicz also shared his biggest inspirations. He said, “Tyus Jones; he plays for the Memphis Grizzlies now and he’s from Apple Valley High School. I’ve played for his AAU teams the last couple years. He’s just a great person on and off the court and a great role model.” 

Stefonowicz is optimistic for the teams and the season ahead. 

He said, “My goal for us is just winning games and eventually the final goal for us is making it to state.”