Get involved!

With the hallways of MHS plastered with posters and flyers advertising the many clubs, it can be stressful in such a big place like Minnetonka. The 68 clubs at our school, make it easy to get involved in something, but the real question is what? The key to finding the perfect club or activity for yourself is to look for something that interests you and go from there.

If you’re interested in Art…

Join the Art Club

Meets every Wednesday in room #2300. There is a $10 participation fee to join this club. The club’s advisor, Ms. Nelson, explains, “Students can work on individual projects, group projects such as murals and posters, and also enter art competitions.”

Join National Art Honor Society

NAHS meets every other Wednesday at 2:50 and there is a $5 participation fee to be in this club.  This club is great for working on pieces to put into National and International art competitions.

If you’re interested in volunteering…

Apply to be in Youth Development Council

Meets once a month.

Pick up an application in the activities office, which is due back on the 26th.

YDC is specifically looking for freshman this year.  YDC allows high school kids to organize and facilitate meaningful service opportunities in their community; some of these opportunities include a rake-a-thon, a dodge ball tournament, Minnetonka youth triathlon, and the fifth grade fiestas.

Emilee Nyberg, a senior member of YDC explains, “People should join YDC because it is a good way to meet new people and volunteer throughout the community! It’s also a lot of fun!”

Join Tonka Leadership Challenge (TLC)

Meets every other Friday morning at 7:15 in the Black box across from the west gym. If you missed the first meeting, you can still join. Listen to the announcements to know when the next meeting is coming up. Senior, Betsy Dorn, a member of the TLC Leadership Council says, “TLC is a great way to do lots of volunteer work, and work on becoming a strong leader in the community and MHS.”

If you’re interested in business…

Join DECA

Meets monthly in the mornings at 7:15 and after school at 2:45.

To join Deca you must be currently enrolled in a business class or if you aren’t, you need to go through an interview with Mr. Sill and Mrs. Strand.

The main focus is to prepare for and compete in business situation role-plays at regional, state, and national competitions. It allows students to experience real business situations, learn about the different topics of business (entrepreneurship, sales marketing, management, interviewing etc.)

Olivia Kraskey, a senior DECA officer says, “Deca is an amazing opportunity & you get to dress to impress!”

Those are just a sample of the many clubs available at Minnetonka, with so many clubs to choose from it can be stressful finding the right one, but the best advice when looking for a club that’s right for you is to find what you are interested in and join away.