Phenomenal Festivities
Phenomenal Festivities

Words of wisdom from the battery-licker

Words of wisdom from the battery-licker

Some of you may know me as the
girl who used to wear her GAP
sweatshirt every day, in a variety
of colors, of course. The girl who lost a
section of her zip-off cargo pants, so one
side was a Capri, the other being shorts. The gel-pen extraordinaire. The girl who
still feels bitter about tripping over the
hurdles in the 5th grade track meet. The
girl who tried licking a battery in the back
of the bus in 7th grade. The girl you just
saw in the Media Center today, struggling
as she tried to figure out where her flash
drive goes in.

All of these experiences make up who I am. As I get ready to head off to college next year, I will never forget where I came from and all of the lessons I have learned over the years.

Although battery licking will always be an important lesson, I think that the most formative lessons I have learned have come from my time here at MHS. After four short years, I have decided that you learn more outside of the classroom than you do inside of it. I’m not saying this to insult our teachers in any way. I’m just saying we will all most likely remember the late nights spent at football games over the countless vocab units we’ve all memorized the hour before the test.

I don’t remember much from my Civics class, but I can tell you that when you go to the bathroom during class and come back with food, the teacher knows what’s up.

I don’t remember much from Ceramics, but I can tell you that it’s not a good idea to go to bed after a football game with your face paint still on. Sorry Mom.

I don’t remember much from Sociology, but I can tell you it’s best to avoid eye contact in all situations in the parking lot, no matter what.

I don’t remember much from Chemistry, but I can tell you that Tender Tuesday and ski races are never a good combination. Ever.

All of these experiences and memories are what make high school so special. I will always be proud of Minnetonka and I will forever remember the lessons I’ve learned, most of which occurred outside the classroom.

No matter where college takes me, I will always be the same gel-pen addict or battery licker that you may remember me as. And, of course, I will always be a Skipper. Although no one will know what a Skipper is, I will always be proud. Thanks, Minnetonka. It’s been real.