True Compassion of Heart Week: Family Friends Charity

Jessica Wang, Staff Writer

Isabella Bennett
The Benefit Dinner was held Thursday, February 16th

Heart Week at Minnetonka is famous for many things: the ridiculous but entertaining cupids, the Sweethearts dance in the commons, and of course, the unforgettable man pageant. Sometimes we almost forget the cost of the activities because they’re so worth it. But, the best part is that they’re worth it in multiple ways. We all enjoy a week full of fun, but what goes on during Heart Week also comes back to benefit the community.

All the money raised during Heart Week goes to an organization called Minnetonka Family Friends. This nonprofit is highly involved at the high school, supporting students and their families. It provides financial aid in a number of ways, including food, school fees, medical fees, and transportation. This means that the money from Heart Week goes into helping pay for anything from lunches to gift cards. Just five students buying tickets to the Sweethearts dance can cover a student’s cost of taking the ACT. When it all adds up, Heart Week can provide tremendous help to families in our community. During Heart Week, MHS students have fun while making a direct impact by giving back.

Last year, Minnetonka was able to raise $40,500 for Family Friends, and the school is hopeful that it can raise even more this year. Annabel Cho, a sophomore representative, is amazed and appreciative of Heart Week and its positive impact. “It’s an exciting week where we can have a lot of fun by doing something good for others,” she says. As you prepare for the Heart Week excitement, remember that every song, Crush can, and t-shirt helps out your fellow MHS students.