First Annual Drinking Fountain Awards at MHS 2017

Wyatt Mosiman, Copy Editor

Drinking fountains, once a rarity, are now commonplace throughout the world. Their popularity has turned them into a necessity, both on a health and comfort level. In fact, the International Plumbing Code requires schools to provide one drinking fountain for every 100 people. Of course, that means that Minnetonka High School has quite a few drinking fountains, and some are bound to be better than others.
In this uber scientific study, the drinking fountains throughout the school have been ranked on a scale from zero to ten, zero meaning it doesn’t work and ten indicating the water is fit for the Queen of England.
Not all drinking fountains were included in this “study;” excluded are fountains in classrooms, double drinking fountains are counted as one, and it’s possible a few were missed. Water temperature, taste, and water pressure were all factored into the final scores. The results are listed below.
While drinking fountains are plenty abundant on the first floor, the best water is found in the farthest reaches of the school, where most won’t venture without a reason. The rest of the first-floor drinking fountains are of relatively high quality, except for the silo and near lunchroom fountains, which are either dying or already dead, respectively.
The upper floor, although with certainly fewer drinking fountains, has many more high caliber ones. The second-floor fountains are of an exquisite quality, with few exceptions. Their cool temperature and refreshing taste earned them high scores, with the added bonus of a water bottle refill station on a select few, which is less common on the first-floor fountains.
The drinking fountain that earned the highest score is located in the music hallway. Between the orchestra and band rooms, the water from this fountain, while not quite suitable for royalty, is a luxury to high school students. The delectable liquid that comes from this fountain is unmatched in this school and is well worth the fifteen seconds it takes to stop and lap up a drink. You could even say that it’s mouthwatering.
In stark contrast to the divine drinking fountain in the music hallway, the unattractive fountain located on the first floor of the silo is undeniably the worst in the school. Excluding non-functional fountains, this drinking fountain is so sub par that one must physically touch their head to the wall just to get the water into their mouth because the pressure is so low. Even if one is able to drink the water, the effort is hardly worth it. One taste is all that’s needed to dissuade the drinker from having any more. The warm, tepid water, detestable on its own, is even more abhorrent when mixed with the old metallic taste of rusting iron. This drinking fountain is to be avoided at all costs unless there is no other option.
The drinking fountain that wins the honorable mention is found in the orchestra room. Its uniquely high pressure allows for it to shoot 3 feet in the air, resulting in entertainment for everybody, minus the unsuspecting drinker. This drinking fountain is actually used as an initiation for freshman; on the first day of school upon finding out there is a fountain in the room they rush over to try it and end up with a face full of water.
The necessity of drinking fountains is undeniable, as well as the fact that some are aesthetically one of the symbols of our high school years. Spending day by day with homework, our sports, and clubs, drinking more water will help both your body and your brain stay hydrated.
Next time you come across a drinking fountain, instead of passing by, try giving it a taste and seeing if you agree with my ratings. Perhaps this article will encourage to venture to try out all of the drinking fountains at MHS.

Isabella Bennett
*Drinking fountains with the rating of 0 do not function