Gender Sexuality Alliance: A Safe Space Where Everyone is Welcome

Ellie Bergfalk, Staff Writer

There is no doubt that MHS has a vast assortment of clubs to choose from, ranging from world language to recreational clubs and everything in between. However, there seems to be one fellowship club that stands out from the others, a place where everyone is welcome and a message of love and positivity echoes strongly. Gender Sexuality Alliance, or GSA, is a club where students gather to show and receive support from members of the LGBTQ+ community and allies.

GSA was created six years ago to form a safe space for all members of the LGBTQ+ community. The club was a place where members could share their beliefs, experiences, and concerns as well as discuss current events related to the club. Today, the gist of the club is essentially the same, it is a place where students can come to talk about anything that is going on in their lives, things that they might not be able to talk about in other situations.

The club advisor, Mr. Cossette, stated that this aspect of the club was his favorite part.

“It’s a space where everyone can be who they want to be, with few people pretending to be someone who they are not. There are very little places in life like that,” he said.

A leader for the club, Mary Smith, ‘19, commented that “GSA is a place where we become more educated as well. We talk about things we wouldn’t discuss in class.”

In the future, GSA is hoping to have more community outreach and a larger presence in the school. The club is also hoping to rid the club of its “exclusive” reputation. It wants to make sure the message the club gives is that everyone is welcome, whether you are a member of the LGBTQ+, an ally, or anyone in between.

Love, fellowship, and support are all things members feel when being a part of the club, and GSA is always extremely warm, welcoming, and encouraging towards new members. If you are interested in joining the Gender Sexuality Alliance, the meetings are on Mondays from 3 to 4 after school in room 1306. You can also follow GSA on Twitter @minnetonka_gsa.