Tonka MUN Hosting Conference

Leyden Streed, Staff Writer

This Saturday, March 9, students from schools all around the twin cities met at Minnetonka High School to participate in Minnetonka’s Model United Nations conference. The conference had students collaborate to find solutions to two international issues, free and fair elections in the African Union, and Safety of Journalists. When looking around, it was clear that a lot of work and organization was put into this event, and it was all made possible by the work of Minnetonka student leaders and advisers.

Model United Nations is a club where students are given countries to research and represent in a mock UN conference. At these conferences they work with other students to write resolutions for real global issues. MUN was started in Minnetonka 5 years ago by a group of motivated students that were interested in discussing global issues. Since then, it has appealed to many students looking to challenge themselves and test their global understanding.

“I love advising this club because students are so passionate and motivated and excited about the possibility of developing solutions to real world problems,” said MUN advisor Claire Harley.

The planning of a MUN conference is always a big task to take on. The student leaders and their advisers started planning for this conference back in May of last year. They worked over the summer developing committee topics, and began writing background guides on the topics they chose. Student leaders also ran the dias, the people who conduct the conference while its taking place. When on the dias students work to keep the conference going on pace, and do so in an orderly manner. Dias members need to be prepared for anything, and need to be very knowledgeable on their topics to answer any questions.

“We need to make sure we’re ready for anything that comes our way”, said member and MUN Secretary General Astrid Liden ‘19.

It’s significant event for Minnetonka MUN, being one of the only two high schools that have hosted a conference that is student run. And it really does take a lot of initiative from student leaders to make it happen. They read through position papers, decide awards given out, and help organize and clean up. It’s a chance for student leaders to put their leadership skills to the test. As with any big event, there were complications that Minnetonka leaders and advisors needed to be quick on their feet to address, like having to cut the conference short from ending at 4:00 pm to 1:00 pm due to weather uncertainty.

“We were very nervous we might have to cancel due to the snowstorm so we’re happy we get to see the outcome of all of our hard work”, said Harley.

Over 300 delegates and advisors were at the Minnetonka MUN conference the past weekend. Students were enthusiastic for the chance to test their communication and cooperation skills. It was evident that students put a lot of research and hard work into this conference, which is what makes a great MUN conference. Students interested in participating in a conference like this one are encouraged to join Minnetonka MUN next year.

“It gives an opportunity for people who are interested in diplomacy, human rights, and international relations, but also people who just want to go beyond what they hear about”, said Ellie McRae ‘20, a MUN student leader for next year, and conference participant.