Calling All Uno Lovers: Let’s Deal You In

Lauren Lamb, Staff Writer

Need more games in your life? Members of MHS’s Uno Club are meeting every Thursday in Room 1302 from 2:50 to 3:40 p.m. 

The inspiration for the club began when founder Skyla Lee, ‘23, was in middle school. She started bringing a deck of Uno cards to class and playing with her friends. They played every morning, and before she knew it, more people began joining in on their games. When she started high school, some members of the group came up with the idea of starting an Uno Club. 

Many students felt overwhelmed during the first wave of the COVID-19 pandemic. Lee explained, “I decided to make the club a stress reliever to all the chaos that had been happening.” The club became a distraction, a space where friends could relax and have fun. 

When asked why she chose Uno as the subject of the club, Lee answered, “It just happened to be the game I had on hand and it went from there.”

Teacher Tracy Ivy is the club’s adviser. “I love watching the club members playing cards and having such happy expressions,” she shared. 

Alex Chirigos, ‘23, an Uno Club member, remarked, “I love being able to bond with people while competing with one another.”

Regarding the future of the club, Lee hopes “for it to grow more this year.” She continued, “But I’m not sure if I’ll be able to continue it when I graduate as I don’t have anyone to hand it off to.” 

Getting new members to join is her main goal for Uno Club, and current members have high hopes that many more will join. Lee also wants to create a fun, carefree environment for friends to enjoy themselves.