John Mark Nelson and Communist Daughter

Photo courtesy of www.rslblog.com

Photo courtesy of www.rslblog.com

Eric Van Camp, A&E Editor

To some MHS students and grads, the name John Mark Nelson might still conjure an image of that tall, hipster-looking kid with a great beard they’ve seen around the halls. Others, probably, have no idea who he is. John Mark Nelson graduated from MHS in 2012 and two months later he released his second album Waiting and Waiting; the song “Reminisce” from that album received some local radio air time and an in-studio session at The Current (check out the video on Youtube and see how many other MHS grads you can spot!). After a successful Kickstarter campaign, John began his next album, Sings the Moon. Off that album both the Americana “The Moon and the Stars” and the folk song “Boy” have their own music videos, the former debuting on MTV! The entire album is a step up musically from Waiting and Waiting, mixing full-length folk, blues, and Americana-influenced songs with shorter instrumental interludes. Listening to the whole album is an experience in itself. John is working on his fourth album as you’re reading this very article (probably). If you’d like updates on his new album progress follow him on Spotify or on Twitter and Instagram @johnmarknelson.

Communist Daughter is another Minneapolis based band with front man Johnny Solomon. Solomon formed the band in Prescott, Wisconsin following a brief break from music after struggling with addiction, mental health problems, and even spending some time in jail. I’ll be honest, I had never heard of this band before today, but after looking them up for this article, I’m a fan. Johnny Solomon’s voice is gentle and warm, and that, coupled with the folk sound of an acoustic guitar underneath him and the back-up vocals of Molly Moore, reminds me of listening to a friend sing around a campfire. Though some of their songs may rock a little harder than others, their folk and blues roots can be heard in every song. Check out Communist Daughter on Spotify or on Twitter @comdotband.

You can catch both these bands playing together with Holly Henry at the Varisty Theatre on February 20th (16+ show, $10 with a student ID). And don’t forget to catch John Mark Nelson performing right at MHS for Off the Page this March, hosted by the Minnetonka Writing Center!

Photo courtesy of stmedia.startribune.com