Rating Disney Channel Original Movies

Leyden Streed, Copy Editor

DISCLAIMER: I’d like to start off by saying these ratings are completely my opinion and are not necessarily based off of the quality of the movies. These ratings reflect the general enjoyment I felt from watching. I also have not been able to watch every Disney channel original movie ever made because I’m afraid I don’t have that kind of time. The movies listed below are movies I have watched and remember from my childhood. 

1. Lemonade Mouth

Lemonade Mouth is about five outcast high school students who form a band during detention and overcome their individual struggles together. Like all the best Disney Channel Original Movies, this one has its cringe moments, but what it lacks in plot, it makes up for in the soundtrack. When it comes to soundtracks, it is hard to beat Lemonade Mouth. From “She’s So Gone” to “Determinate,” the Lemonade Mouth soundtrack is perfect for midnight dance parties in your room or some carpool karaoke. 

1. The Hannah Montana Movie

The Hannah Montana Movie was a personal favorite of mine growing up. I honestly think this movie was very well done. In the Hannah Montana series, we heard many references to Miley’s country background, and, in the movie, we were finally able to see it. In this movie, Miley gets caught up in her celebrity alter ego Hannah Montana and doesn’t want to go back to her hometown, Crowley Corners, Tennessee. After her father Robby tricks her into coming home, she finds out how much the place means to her and realizes what is important in life. This movie has some amazing country singer cameos from both Taylor Swift and Rascal Flatts, and it had some great country performances as well.

1. Let It Shine

Let it Shine is by far the most underrated Disney Channel Original Movie. This movie is a Disney adaptation of the classic 1897 French play Cyrano de Bergerac. In this adaption, the main character Cyrus DeBarge’s rapping persona “Truth” is mistaken for being his best friend Kris. Roxanne, an old childhood friend turned superstar, falls for Kris’ words, not knowing they were coming from Cyrus. This is by far my favorite film adaptation of Cyrano de Bergerac, as it is an original and modern take on the classic play, replacing Cyrano’s poetry with Cyrus’s rap. The soundtrack of this movie stands out from other Disney Channel Original Movie soundtracks as it is set in the worlds of hip hop, rap and gospel. It features one of my favorite Disney songs of all time, “Don’t Run Away.”

1. High School Musical 2

Did you know High School Musical 2 had the highest rated Disney Channel Original Movie premiere? With 17.2 million viewers, it is clear this movie is in many people’s top 5 list. In High School Musical 2, the same musical friend group that broke the status quo in the first movie (and, of course, the protagonists Troy and Gabriella) find jobs at a country club owned by Sharpay Evans over the summer. From watching young Zac Efron angrily dance around a golf course to Sharpay singing about all the ways she is better than everyone else, this movie is clearly the best High School Musical movie.

• Camp Rock

Although this might be controversial, the best Disney Channel Original Movie has to be Camp Rock. To be fair, it’s hard to beat anything that features the Jonas Brothers. A young singer, Mitchie, goes to a musical summer camp, Camp Rock, where she pretends to be from a famous family in the music industry. She does this to fit in and to relate to Shane Gray (Joe Jonas), the lead singer of a band. Although Mitchie can get on the viewer’s nerves sometimes, all these characters are fun to watch, as they all have their own individual musical talents. Watching the performances of these songs is by far the best part of this movie and worth the watch.

Honorable Mentions: The Lizzie McGuire Movie, Starstruck, Princess Protection Program