Biodegradable Balloons

Catherine Rile, Staff Writer

The sustainable movement and eco-friendly products have gained significant attention in recent years, as people become more aware of the environmental impact of their consumption. This has led to a shift towards more sustainable and environmentally-friendly products, which are designed to minimize their impact on the planet. From reusable water bottles and shopping bags to organic food and natural cleaning products, there is now a wide range of eco-friendly products available. 

This movement is not only beneficial for the environment but also for individuals, as using these products can help reduce waste and promote healthier lifestyles. As consumers become more conscious of the impact of their choices, the creation of sustainable products will increase. 

This movement is taking place worldwide and has inspired Minnetonka students such as Lara Granucci, Siman Dirie and Sarah Shabaz. These students participated in the Shark Tank competition for VANTAGE Global Business with their sustainable water balloon. “Our product is compostable water balloons,” said Granucci. “They would be made of natural plant based materials so they decompose in the grass after a water balloon fight and actually have nutrients that would help plant growth.” Their product did extremely well in the competition making it to the final round of roughly 30 teams. The team was inspired by the sustainability movement and emphasizes its importance. “I think sustainability is becoming more important in our world today, because we need to find creative ways to preserve the world’s resources and lots of businesses now are placing a greater emphasis on sustainability,” said Granucci.

Globally products are becoming more eco-friendly in order to keep up with the trends and also create a more sustainable future. Similar to the group’s shark tank idea reusable water balloons are being sold everywhere. However, these water balloons break very easily as their material is not durable. Despite this, the existing balloons offer inspiration to a new generation such as Lara Granucci, Siman Dirie and Sarah Shabaz who can change the landscape of sustainable products. Impacts of the sustainability movement are evident everywhere. It is important that humanity shifts into an eco-friendly future so that future generations can enjoy Earth.