Phenomenal Festivities
Phenomenal Festivities

Stay grounded

Stay grounded

One day, late in the last school year, some of my friends and I were just hanging out, having a good time at Scenic Heights Elementary School.  We had been playing with a tennis ball and someone threw it on the roof.  Everyone was super bummed, but I knew I could get it down.  I walked around to the other side of the school and used these dumpsters that were sitting there to climb up on top of the school.   It was pretty simple to get up, grab the ball, and get back down.  I was up there for maybe three minutes, but I guess one of the neighbors had seen me and called the police, or maybe they had called because of all the kids being super sketch at an elementary school.  Whatever it was, by the time I got back around to the other side of the school, there was a squad car pulling into the parking lot.  Like I said, I hadn’t been up there long, so they must’ve been in the area when they got the call.  I was pretty embarrassed because, as a joke, I had parked my car diagonally across like five parking spaces, and the cops were looking at it really weird.  It was pretty obvious that I was the one who was on the roof, but my friends tried covering for me anyway.  While they were questioning us, another one of my friends who had gotten onto the roof after me ran over and yelled at us.  In his defense, he didn’t know that the police were there.  I knew I couldn’t get away with it because the police pretty much knew it was me, so I admitted to it and just hoped for mercy.

Luckily, they went easy on us.  All that happened was they called home to my parents, but they weren’t even that mad.  My mom and dad both thought it was pretty funny actually.  The whole thing kind of surprised me to be honest, because I didn’t think that going on a roof was that big of a deal.  All of us could have gotten in trouble too, because apparently it’s illegal to hang out on school grounds after-hours if you don’t go there.  At least now I know to be more careful when it comes to the police, and to stay off school roofs.