Minnetonka High School's Student News

Minnetonka Breezes

Minnetonka High School's Student News

Minnetonka Breezes

Minnetonka High School's Student News

Minnetonka Breezes

The Sauna Renaissance
The Sauna Renaissance
March 22, 2024
Lets Talk Protein
Let's Talk Protein
March 22, 2024

A Dorn good person

A Dorn good person

Senior Betsy Dorn found her niche volunteering with Special Olympics Minnesota back when she was in 6th grade. Betsy recently took some time to tell us about the ways she and her family are involved with Special Olympics Minnesota.
Haley: When and where the Special Olympics are held?
Betsy: The Special Olympics are held at many different locations, depending on the events, and I volunteer whenever I can.
Haley: What it is that do while you volunteer?
Betsy: I do a variety of things, sometimes I help facilitate the sports or set up the events. This year I actually joined the Youth Activation Council, a program with students with and without intellectual disabilities, who work together to help promote Special Olympics to high schools and to spread the word about the R word campaign. This is a campaign to stop having people use the R word and inform people how hurtful the word can be.
Haley: Why do you find an interest in volunteering at the Special Olympics?
Betsy: I have an interest with the Special Olympics because my sister Rosie has an intellectual disability, the Special Olympics gave her the opportunity to do things she never thought she would be able to do. When we realized how great the program was, my family became super involved.”
Haley: Do any of your friends volunteer with you?
Betsy: My family always volunteers whenever we have the opportunity and I always have friends who are interested in helping out. Everyone is really supportive because they love the program and what it does.”