Baby, It’s Cold… Inside School

Chilly April Montgomery, ’17, walks to her car in the frigid December temperature. Put on a coat, April!

Jessie Wang, Staff Writer

As the cold weather finally starts to come in through Minnesota, all of us rush inside, increasingly eager to get a break from the biting temperatures. However, some students aren’t getting as much of a break as they’d hoped for. You may have noticed the abundance of students bearing winter coats as they walk through the halls. Or, maybe you’ve overheard the same phrase over and over again between classes: “I’m freezing.” Whatever the case is, it’s undisputable – the school is cold.

Besides the obvious discomfort, both of being cold and of wearing several layered jackets, the cold can be a little distracting. It’s hard not to lose focus in class as your thoughts drift again to how cold you are. And, how can you resist thinking about going home and taking a nap? Emily Fahlsing, ’17, agrees that the cold can be preoccupying. She notices that almost everyday in “every class, people are talking about how cold it is inside.” For her, this can make class a little “miserable.” Sometimes, our focus shifts from class to how to huddle for warmth and conserve all the heat that we have. Unfortunately, for the majority of the 7 hours that we’re at school, we have to make do with the temperature. Making the school a stable, comfortable temperature could make it a more positive and enjoyable place.

For now, a warm cup of coffee from the Cove or a comfy chair in the Port helps out with the temperature. In the meantime, as we hope for warmer classrooms, we can always resort to making igloos in school – sometimes it can be pretty warm in them!